Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The Tactile Experience of a Typewriter

I found Charlotte's old typewriter in the attic. The tactile experience of a typewriter is so very child friendly and satisfying. I always planned on teaching all the kids the joys and wonder of such a past time. Even the oldest of things are new to curious children. I'm thinking about buying another so we'll have two. 

I love the sound. I love to see them huddled over it watching the keys clunk, taking turns and admiring cause and effect.  What's not to love about a typewriter? Unless you have to write an entire book on one. A history lesson at their fingertips. Next I'll buy them some wite-out. 

As I post this I hear clack-clack-clack ... music to my vintage loving ears. I'm eyeing a large 1950's typewriter on craigslist. I hope I bring it home for them, or one like it someday. Little Sebastian is becoming more familiar with his letters and this is a grand way to entice him into learning all of them. All the kids walk by and type something periodically. A fun message board for the household. Some one typed 'I love ice cream" and someone else "I love cake." :)

1947 Underwood Universal Portable typewriter

This is our vintage typewriter's user "manual" page of features! So cool!


No comments:

Post a Comment